What should I know about import costs for Canadian shipments?Updated 6 months ago
There may be customs duties and brokerage fees when importing EcoEnclose products, depending on the value of the shipment and the carrier you choose. You can read more about the import process here.
Unfortunately, we cannot figure exact costs for you, but you can expect a fee of around 30% for UPS shipments. You can find an estimate at the BorderBuddy site (this does not include brokerage fees).
Here is a breakdown of what you can expect:
Duty and Tax
There are 3 kinds of duties and taxes for items being imported into Canada:
1. Goods and Services Tax (GST): 5%
*You do not have to pay the GST on goods worth less than CAN $20.
2. Customs Duty: 4%
3. Provincial Sales Tax (PST): 5% to 9.75%
*Harmonized Tax (HST): A handful of Canadian provinces have opted to harmonize their provincial sales tax with the general sales tax and the total rate is known as Harmonized Tax. 13%
Along with duties and taxes, you may also need to pay tariffs. Tariffs depend on the country of manufacture, not the country from where
the product is purchased. USMCA eliminates tariffs on all goods that are
manufactured in the U.S. and shipped to Canada. However, if you order one of our products that are not made in the USA you will have a tariff.
Hemp Twine, Cello Tape, Glassine Bags, Handheld Tape Dispenser
- UPS shipments will need to have a broker assigned.
- UPS is a full service broker, so you can elect to have them broker the shipment, or you can assign a broker of your choosing. UPS charges a 6% broker fee.
- If you contact UPS after the order ships to assign them as a broker, you will save about $5.00 off that fee.
The Postal Service will broker the shipment and does not charge brokerage fees to deliver packages to Canadian destinations.
Customs Clearance Fees
- UPS Worldwide Expedited: free routine customs clearance
- UPS Standard to Canada: About 6%
- The higher the value of the goods, the higher the import fee rate.
- Customs Clearance Fee: $6.65 per mail piece/parcel